Unassigning a policy from a group or location
You may want to unassign a policy from a group or a location if you want to delete the policy permanently or save the policy to use for a later time.
For example, a specific group may have experienced problems after you introduced a new policy. If you want the policy to remain in the database, you can withdraw the policy instead of deleting it. If you withdraw a policy, it is automatically withdrawn from the groups and locations that you assigned it to. The number of locations that a policy is used for appears on the
pane on the
You must withdraw a policy or replace a policy from all groups and locations before you can delete it.
You can withdraw all policies in the
Policiespage from a location or group except for the following policies:
- Virus and Spyware Protection
- LiveUpdate Settings
You can only replace them with another
Virus and Spyware Protection policyor
LiveUpdate policy. See:
- To unassign a policy from a group or location
- To unassign a shared policy in thePoliciespage, in the console, clickPolicies.
- On thePoliciespage, underPolicies, click the type of policy that you want to withdraw.
- In thepane, click the specific policy that you want to withdraw.policy typePolicies
- On thePoliciespage, underTasks, clickWithdraw the Policy.
- In theWithdraw Policydialog box, check the groups and locations from which you want to withdraw the policy.
- When you are prompted to confirm the withdrawal of the policy from the groups and locations, clickYes.
- To unassign a shared or non-shared policy in theClientspage, in the console, clickClients.
- On theClientspage, underClients, select the group for which you want to withdraw a policy.
- On thePoliciestab, uncheckInherit policies and settings from parent group ".group name"You must disable inheritance for this group. If you do not uncheck inheritance, you cannot withdraw a policy.
- UnderLocation-specific Policies and Settings, scroll to find the name of the location for which you want to withdraw a policy.
- Locate the policy for the location that you want to withdraw.
- ClickTasks, and then clickWithdraw Policy.
- In theWithdraw Policydialog box, clickYes.