Installing the Symantec Agent for Linux or the Symantec Endpoint Protection client for Linux
Symantec Endpoint Protectionclient for Linux
(For 14.3 RU1 and later)
You install Symantec Agent for Linux directly on a Linux device. You cannot deploy the Linux agent from
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerremotely.
To install Symantec Agent for Linux, create an installation package in
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, transfer the installation package to a Linux device and then run the installer. The installer will configure the new agent and register it with
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
Symantec Agent for Linux 14.3 RU1 cannot run as an unmanaged client. All management tasks must be performed in
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manageror in cloud console.
(For 14.3 RU1 and later) To install the Symantec Management Agent for Linux:
- InSymantec Endpoint Protection Manager, create and download the installation package.
- Move theLinuxInstallerpackage to a Linux device.
- Make theLinuxInstallerfile executable:chmod u+x LinuxInstaller
- Run the installer:./LinuxInstallerYou must run the command as root.To view the list of installation options, run./LinuxInstaller -h.
- To verify the installation, navigate to/usr/lib/symantecand run./status.shto confirm that the modules are loaded and daemons are running:./status.shSymantec Agent for Linux Version: 14.3.450.1000Checking Symantec Agent for Linux (SEPM) status..Daemon status:cafagent runningsisamdagent runningsisidsagent runningsisipsagent runningModule status:sisevt loadedsisap loadedNote thatcommunication statusis only available for cloud-managed clients.
(For 14.3 MP1 and earlier)
You install an unmanaged or managed
Symantec Endpoint Protectionclient directly on a Linux computer. You cannot deploy the Linux client from
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerremotely. The installation steps are similar whether the client is unmanaged or managed.
The only way to install a managed client is with an installation package that you create in
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. You can convert an unmanaged client to a managed client at any time by importing client-server communication settings into the Linux client.
If the Linux operating system kernel is incompatible with the pre-compiled Auto-Protect kernel module, the installer tries to compile a compatible Auto-Protect kernel module. The auto-compile process automatically launches if it is needed. However, the installer might be unable to compile a compatible Auto-Protect kernel module. In this case, Auto-Protect installs but is disabled. For more information, see:
You must have superuser privileges to install the
Symantec Endpoint Protectionclient on the Linux computer. The procedure uses
sudoto demonstrate this elevation of privilege.
(For 14.3 MP1 and earlier) To install the
Symantec Endpoint Protectionclient for Linux:
- Copy the installation package that you created to the Linux computer. The package is a .zip file.
- On the Linux computer, open a terminal application window.
- Navigate to the installation directory with the following command:cd /directory/Wheredirectoryis the name of the directory into which you copied the .zip file.
- Extract the contents of the .zip file into a directory namedtmpwith the following command:unzip "InstallPackage" -dsepfilesWhereis the full name of the .zip file, andInstallPackagerepresents a destination folder into which the extraction process places the installation files.sepfilesIf the destination folder does not exist, the extraction process creates it.
- Navigate towith the following command:sepfilescdsepfiles
- To correctly set the execute file permissions oninstall.sh, use the following command:chmod u+x install.sh
- Use the built-in script to installSymantec Endpoint Protectionwith the following command:sudo ./install.sh -iEnter your password if prompted.This script initiates the installation of theSymantec Endpoint Protectioncomponents. The default installation directory is as follows:/opt/Symantec/symantec_antivirusThe default work directory for LiveUpdate is as follows:/opt/Symantec/LiveUpdate/tmpThe installation completes when the command prompt returns. You do not have to restart the computer to complete the installation.
(For 14.3 MP1 and earlier) To verify the client installation, click or right-click the
Symantec Endpoint Protectionyellow shield and then click
Open. The location of the yellow shield varies by Linux version. The client user interface displays information about program version, virus definitions, server connection status, and management.
Symantec Endpoint Protection