Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection clients with Web Link and Email
Symantec Endpoint Protectionclients with Web Link and Email
The Web Link and Email option creates the installation package and the URL for the installation package. The users receive the URL in an email to download the package and install the
Symantec Endpoint Protectionclient. Users must have administrator privileges to install the package.
Web Link and Email comprises the following tasks:
- You select, configure, and then create the client installation package.You choose from the options that appear for the configuration of Windows, Mac, and Linux client installation packages. All client installation packages are stored on the computer that runsSymantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
- Email fromSymantec Endpoint Protection Managernotifies the computer users that they can download the client installation package.You provide a list of users to receive an email message, which contains instructions to download and install the client installation package. Users follow the instructions to install the client software.
The Mac and the Linux client install packages automatically export a
.ziparchive file format. To correctly preserve the file permissions, you should expand the archive file with a native archive program, such as the Mac
Archive Utilityor the
dittocommand. You cannot use the Mac
unzipcommand, a third-party application, or any Windows application to expand the files for these operating systems.
Before you use Web Link and Email, make sure that you correctly configure the connection from the management server to the mail server.
- To installSymantec Endpoint Protectionclients with Web Link and Email
- In the console, launch theClient Deployment Wizard.ClickHelp > Getting Started Pageand then underRequired tasks, clickInstall the client software on your computers.For 12.1.x, in theCommon Tasksmenu, clickInstall a client.
- In theClient Deployment Wizard, clickNew Package Deployment, and then clickNext. Web Link and Email only sends a new installation package.
- Make selections from the available options, which vary depending on the installation package type, and then clickNext.To uninstall existing security software on the Windows client, you must configure custom Client Install Settings before launching the Client Deployment Wizard.
- ClickWeb Link and Email, and then clickNext.
- In theEmail Recipients and Messagepanel, specify the email recipients and the subject.To specify multiple email recipients, type a comma after each email address. A management console system administrator automatically receives a copy of the message.You can accept the default email subject and body, or edit the text. You can also copy the URL and post it to a convenient and secure online location, like an intranet page.
- To create the package and deliver the link by email, clickNext, and then clickFinish.
- Confirm that the computer users received the email message and installed the client software.Client computers may not appear withinSymantec Endpoint Protection Manageruntil after they restart, either automatically or by action you or the user takes. Mac clients automatically prompt a restart when installation completes. Linux clients do not require a restart.