Installing Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager with a custom configuration
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerwith a custom configuration
When you want to install
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerwith a Microsoft SQL Server database or want to install multiple sites, you should choose
Custom configurationin the
Management Server Configuration Wizard. When you select this option, additional settings become available.
To provide connectivity to the database, you must install SQL Server client tools on the server that runs
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager.
- To installSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerwith a custom configuration:
- In theManagement Server Configuration Wizard, clickCustom configuration for new installation, and then clickNext.If you have fewer than 500 computers, Symantec recommends that you clickDefault configuration for new installation.
- ClickInstall my first site, and then clickNext.The following options are for advanced installations and do not apply to first-time installations ofSymantec Endpoint Protection Manager:
- On this screen, you can customize the following settings, and then clickNext:
- Site name
- Server name
- Port numbersYou should contact your network administrator before you make changes to the defaultSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerport configurations.
- The location of theSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerserver data folderIf there is not enough available free space on the drive on whichSymantec Endpoint Protection Manageris installed, relocate the server data folder to an alternate drive.
- On the database selection screen, clickMicrosoft SQL Server databaseand then clickNext.
- If you select theDefault Microsoft SQL Server Express databasefor a custom configuration for 5,000 clients or less, go to step 9. However, the rest of this procedure assumes that you select the Microsoft SQL Server database.
- Check with your SQL database administrator to confirm whether or not the automatic database maintenance tasks should be enabled.
- Symantec recommends that you host the SQL Server andSymantec Endpoint Protection Manageron separate physical servers.
- For information on supported versions of Microsoft SQL Server, see the system requirements for Symantec Endpoint Protection.
- ClickCreate a new database, and then clickNext.Using an existing database is considered an advanced installation option, and typically does not apply to new installations.
- On theStep One: Database Server Authenticationscreen, fill in the details for the SQL Server to whichSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerconnects, and then clickConnect to database.If the database connection is successful, theStep Two: New Database Creationsection becomes available.
- UnderStep Two: New Database Creation, fill in the details to create a new database, and then clickNext.For questions regarding eitherDatabase Server AuthenticationorDatabase Creation, contact your SQL Server database administrator.
- Enter company name, a password for the default administrator admin, and an email address.Alternately, you can add details to use a specified mail server.
- ClickSend Test Email. Once you verify that you receive the test email, clickNext.Symantec Endpoint Protection Managersends password recovery information and other important notifications to this email account, so you should not proceed with configuration if you do not receive the email.
- Create an encryption password, or choose to use a random password, and then clickNext.This password is used to protect the communication between clients andSymantec Endpoint Protection Manager, and is stored in theSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerrecovery file.
- Indicate whether you want to run LiveUpdate as part of the installation. If you run LiveUpdate as part of a new installation, content is more readily available for the clients you deploy. ClickNextYou can also add the optionalPartner Information, if a partner manages your Symantec licenses.
- Indicate whether you want Symantec to receive pseudonymous data, and then clickNextto begin the database creation.
- After the database is created and initialized (which may take several minutes), clickFinish.TheSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerconsole logon screen appears if you leave the option checked to launchSymantec Endpoint Protection Manager. Once you log on, you can begin client deployment.
You can find a configuration summary in the following location on the server where
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manageris installed:
Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\tomcat\etc\SEPMConfigurationSummaryInfo.txt