Configuring Windows client updates to run when client computers are idle
To ease Windows client computer performance issues, you can configure content downloads to run when client computers are idle. This setting is on by default. Several criteria, such as user, CPU, and disc actions, are used to determine when the computer is idle.
Idle Detectionis enabled, once an update is due, the following conditions can delay the session:
- The user is not idle.
- The computer is on battery power.
- The CPU is busy.
- The disk I/O is busy.
- No network connection is present.
After one hour, the blocking set is reduced to CPU busy, Disk I/O busy, or no network connection exists. Once the scheduled update is overdue for two hours, as long as a network connection exists, the scheduled LiveUpdate runs regardless of idle status.
- To configure Windows client updates to run when client computers are idle
- UnderPolicies, clickLiveUpdate.
- On theLiveUpdate Settingstab, right-click the policy that you want to edit, and then clickEdit.
- UnderWindows Settings, clickSchedule.
- CheckDelay scheduled LiveUpdate until the computer is idle. Overdue sessions will run unconditionally.