Configuring communication settings for a location
By default, you configure communication settings between the management server and the client at the level of the group. However, you can also configure these settings for individual locations in a group. For example, you can use a separate management server for a location where the client computers connect through the VPN. To minimize the number of clients that connect to the management server at the same time, you can specify a different heartbeat for each location.
You can configure the following communication settings for locations:
- The control mode in which the clients run.
- The management server list that the clients use.
- The download mode in which the clients run.
- Whether to collect a list of all the applications that are executed on clients and send the list to the management server.
- The heartbeat interval that clients use for downloads.
- Whether the management server randomizes content downloads from the default management server or a Group Update Provider.
Only some of these settings can be configured for Mac clients.
- To configure communication settings for a location
- In the console, clickClients.
- On theClientspage, select a group.
- On thePoliciestab, underLocation-specific Policies and Settings, under a location, expandLocation-specific Settings.
- To the right ofCommunications Settings, clickTasks, and then uncheckUse Group Communications Settings.
- ClickTasksagain, and then clickEdit Settings.
- In theCommunications Settings fordialog box, modify the settings for the specified location only.location name