Enabling FILESTREAM for the Microsoft SQL Server database
This topic describes how to enable FILESTREAM for a Microsoft SQL Server database.
The Microsoft SQL Server database uses a feature called FILESTREAM to reduce the database size and to improve database performance.
- The Microsoft SQL Server Express database has a 10 GB space limitation and requires FILESTREAM to be enabled. If you install your own SQL Server Express instance, you must enable FILESTREAM.
- If you upgrade from an embedded database (14.3 MP1 and earlier) to 14.3 RU1 and later, you do not need to enable the FILESTREAM; the upgrade wizard or configuration wizard enables FILESTREAM for you automatically.
- The Microsoft SQL Server database does not require FILESTREAM to be enabled, but it is recommended to improve performance. For a local SQL Server database, the Management Server Upgrade and Installation Wizard can enable FILESTREAM for you. For a remote Microsoft SQL Server database, you enable FILESTREAM manually on the computer where the SQL Server database is installed.
If you run the upgrade wizard or the configuration wizard and the following message appears, click
Yes, and enable FILESTREAM.
The FILESTREAM feature is not enabled for this remote Microsoft SQL Server database.
Noif you want to continue upgrading or installing and you do not want to enable the FILESTREAM feature at this time.
If you are upgrading, the Management Server Upgrade wizard closes. After you enable FILESTREAM, you must restart the upgrade wizard to continue the management server upgrade. On the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager computer, click:
..\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\bin\upgrade.bat.
To enable FILESTREAM manually:
- On theStartmenu, expandMicrosoft SQL Serverand then clickSQL Server Configuration Manager.
- In theSQL Server Configuration Managerlist of services, selectSQL Server Services, and then locate the instance of SQL Server on which you want to enable FILESTREAM.
- Right-click the instance, and then clickProperties.
- In theSQL Server Propertiesdialog box, click theFILESTREAMtab.
- Select theEnable FILESTREAM for Transact-SQL accessand clickEnable FILESTREAM for file I/O streaming accesscheck boxes.
- ClickApply > OK.
- Restart the SQL Server database service by selecting the instance of SQL Server and clickingRestart.