Stopping and starting the management server service
Before you upgrade, you must manually stop the
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerservice on every management server in your site. After you upgrade, the service starts automatically.
If you do not stop the
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerservice before you upgrade the server, you risk corrupting your existing
Symantec Endpoint Protectiondatabase.
If you stop the management server service, the clients can no longer connect to it. If clients are required to communicate with the management server to connect to the network, they are denied access until this service is restarted.
For example, a client must communicate with the management server to pass a Host Integrity check.
For more information, see:
- To stop and start the management server service
- To stop theSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerservice, clickStart > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.
- In theServiceswindow, underName, scroll to and right-click.Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
- Close the Services window.Close the Services window or your upgrade can fail.
- Repeat this procedure for all installations ofSymantec Endpoint Protection Manager.To start theSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerservice, follow this procedure again, but clickStartinstead ofStop.
- To stop theSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerservice using the command line, from a command prompt, type:net stop semsrv
- To start theSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerservice using the command line, from a command prompt, type:net start semsrv