Using smc to change a device's tenant or domain
You can use the Symantec Management Client service (smc) to move cloud-managed devices to another tenant or domain through an updated SyLink.xml file. For example, you can follow this procedure to move clients from the TestPad domain to your production domain.
You can also move a client computer that
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managermanages over to cloud.
This command-line functionality for
Symantec Endpoint Securitycloud management is available in Windows clients 14.3 MP1 (14.3.1169.0100) or later.
- To use smc to change a device's tenant or domain
- In the cloud console, go toSettings > Installation Package.
- Download an online installation package for the tenant or domain to which you want to switch the device to get the fileSymantec_Agent_Setup.exe. This file should appear in the browser's default download folder. See:
- On the device for which you want to change the tenant or domain, open the Command Prompt window and enter the following command to change the directory to the location of the filesmc.exein the Symantec Agent installation folder. This example uses the default installation location for a 64-bit computer.cd C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Enter the following command, wherepath\torepresents the path on the device to the fileSymantec_Agent_Setup.exethat was downloaded in step 2.smc -cloudmanagedpath\to\Symantec_Agent_Setup.exeThis command does not require a device restart to complete.In the Symantec Endpoint Protection LiveUpdate Content policy, if you set the content type toSelect a revisionand then convert the Symantec Endpoint Protection client to a cloud-managed client, the content does not update on the client. To avoid this issue, make sure you set the content option toUse latest availablebefore you convert the client. See:
You can also use smc to return device management from the cloud console to
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerwith one of the following commands:
- To revert the device management back to theSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerthat previously managed it:smc.exe -sepmmanaged
- To change the device management toSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerusing a specified SyLink.xml file:smc.exe -sepmmanagedpath\to\sylink.xmlsmc.exe -importsylinkpath\to\sylink.xmlThese commands are equivalent.