Creating and installing a Symantec Agent installation package
You create and download an installation package, which provides the files necessary to install the features of Symantec Agent.
(Windows only) Before you start the packaging process for Secure Connection features, confirm that your system meets the requirements.
The installation package is redistributable. You can deploy the Symantec Agent through a third-party software deployment system like Active Directory Group Policy Object (GPO).
The proxy settings entered on the
HTTP or HTTPS and FTP proxy server configurationscreen must match the proxy settings in the environment where the Symantec Agent is installed. If the proxy settings do not match, the installation fails.
Create a distributable installation package.
You can use command-line switches to extract a Windows installation package.
Install the Symantec Agent directly on devices, or distribute the package through a software deployment system.
You can also use command-line switches to install the agent on a Windows device.
Step 1. Create an installation package
In the cloud console, you create the installation package creator, which then creates redistributable packages suitable for use with software deployment systems.
To create an installation package:
- In the cloud console, go toSettings > Installation Package.
- Select theOperating System.The resulting installation package can only be installed on the operating system that you select.However, a direct installation package that you create for Windows Workstation 64-bit or Windows Workstation 32-bit lets you install the Symantec Agent on both versions of Windows. Symantec Agent Installer is able to detect the device's operating system and downloads the appropriate packages.Depending on your subscriptions, you may not be able to create an installation package for some operating systems.
- (Windows only) To configure advanced settings, pressAdvanced options, make the changes, and then pressSave.
- Installation settingsIncludes the installation type, Windows server installation settings, and installation folder location.
- Software removal settingsProvides the options to remove existing security software. The default is to not uninstall existing security software.
- Restart settingsIncludes the options for how and when to restart after installation. For example, you can let the user delay the restart. PressShow Advancedfor more options, such as a scheduled restart.
- Language settingsIncludes the options for the installation package language settings. Also includes an option to automatically detect the language settings on the target device. This setting is used for the Direct Installation package or for push enrollment.
- Select theSymantec Agent Featuresthat you want to include in the package.Depending on your subscriptions and the selectedOperating System, the list of available Symantec Agent features may vary.Secure Connectionfeature is only supported on Windows 10 devices.
- To select a device group other thanDefault, pressChange, select the group, and then pressOK.All devices that enroll with the installation package that you create are added to the device group that you select.
- Select theInstallation Type.
- Online installation packageWhen you run this file, the installation components download and install directly on the device.
- Full installation package creatorWhen you run this file, the installation components download to create the installation package. You then run the resulting package on the device to install it.
- PressDownload Package.The file saves to the default download location for the web browser.
After you create the installation package creator, you run it to build the installation package.
To create an installation package using the installation package creator for Windows:
- Go to the default download location for the web browser and run the installation package creator file.The file name depends on whether the device is a 64-bit system or a 32-bit system:
The Download Manager launches and displays a pre-populated location where the package is saved.
- Symantec_Agent_Package_x64.exefor 64-bit systems
- Symantec_Agent_Package_x86.exefor 32-bit systems
- (Optional) PressChange Locationto save the package to a different location.If a package file already exists in the location specified, it is overwritten.
- PressCreate Packagewhen you are satisfied with the location.The package downloads to the location that you indicated, and includes the following folder and files:
- The folderSymantec_Agent_Package, which contains .dll and .dat files.
- The fileSymantec_Agent_Install.exe, which launches the installation.
- The fileSymantec_Agent_Deployment.msi.
- The fileSymantec_Agent_Deployment.mst, which is used with Active Directory GPO deployments.
- Click the link in this pane to access your downloaded files. Otherwise, clickFinish.
To create an installation package using the installation package creator for Mac:
- Go to the default download location for the web browser and locate the fileSEP_package_downloader.zip.
- Copy this file to the desktop of the Mac device.
- Double-clickSEP_package_downloader.zipto extract the contents, and then open the resulting folder.
- Double-click the downloader tool to run the Symantec Downloader and to begin the installation package download.
- ClickSave Asto select or create a folder to which you save the package.The package includesfsdmanifest.jsandSymantec Endpoint Protection.UniversalESD_RI.pkg. These files must remain together for any installation.
Step 2. Install the Symantec Agent on your devices
You can use the installation package in the following ways:
- Install it directly on a device.
- Use an Active Directory GPO to deploy it.
- Use a third-party deployment system to deploy it (for example: VMware Workspace ONE).
You can install the package on a new device or you can move an existing on-premises-managed Symantec Endpoint Protection agent to be cloud-managed.
To install the Symantec Agent directly on a device:
- Put the package on a network share, USB device, or other share mechanism.
- For Windows, transfer the folder with all package files to the Windows device and then runSymantec_Agent_install.exe.For Mac, transfer the folder with all package files to the Mac device, double-clickSymantec Endpoint Protection.UniversalESD_RI.pkg.
- Follow any on-screen instructions, including the authorization of installer processes or components on the system.The installer provides the information that the agent software needs to communicate with your environment.
To install the Symantec Agent on a Windows device by pushing an Active Directory GPO:
If you install with GPO, you must take additional steps before you install a newer version with GPO. You must uninstall the previous version through GPO with
- In the Group Policy Object Editor, go to theComputer Settingsnode and create a new software installation package.For more information about GPO policy, refer to the following Microsoft article:
- Select the fileSymantec_Agent_Deployment.msi, and go to theModificationstab.
- To apply a transform to the package, in theModificationstab, clickAddand select the fileSymantec_Agent_Deployment.mst.In addition to the.msifile, the.mstfile is required to deliver the agent using GPO. The.mstfile includes the tokens to pass toSymantec Endpoint Protection.
- SelectDeployment type.
- AssignedLets the installation package install automatically.
- PublishedMakes the package available for installation inControl Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
MSI-specific installation information writes to the log file path that you specify. However,
Symantec Endpoint Protection-specific installation information writes to the following log file: