Creating and installing a Symantec Agent installation package
You can create and download an installation package, which provides the files necessary to install the features of Symantec Agent.
You can also create an installation package creator, which lets you create a redistributable package suitable for use with software deployment systems. You can then deploy the Symantec Agent through a third-party software deployment system like Active Directory Group Policy Object (GPO) or VMware Workspace ONE.
The proxy settings that you configure in the
System Policy, under
HTTP or HTTPS Proxy Configurationand under
FTP Proxy Configurationmust match the proxy settings in the environment where the Symantec Agent is installed. If the proxy settings do not match, the agent installation fails. See:
Creating a Symantec Agent installation package
To create a Symantec Agent installation package
- In the cloud console, go toSettings > Installation Package.
- Select theOperating System.The resulting installation package can only be installed on the operating system that you select.However, a direct installation package that you create for Windows Workstation 64-bit or Windows Workstation 32-bit lets you install the Symantec Agent on both versions of Windows. Symantec Agent Installer is able to detect the device's operating system and downloads the appropriate packages.Depending on your subscriptions, you may not be able to create an installation package for some operating systems.
- (Windows only) To configure advanced settings, pressAdvanced options, make the changes, and then pressSave.
- Installation settingsIncludes the installation type, Windows server installation settings, and installation folder location. See:
- Software removal settingsProvides the options to remove existing security software. The default is to not uninstall existing security software. See:
- Restart settingsIncludes the options for how and when to restart after installation. For example, you can let the user delay the restart. PressShow Advancedfor more options, such as a scheduled restart. See:
- Language settingsIncludes the options for the installation package language settings. Also includes an option to automatically detect the language settings on the target device. This setting is used for the Direct Installation package or for push enrollment.
- Select theSymantec Agent Featuresthat you want to include in the package.Depending on your subscriptions and the selectedOperating System, the list of available Symantec Agent features may vary. See:Secure Connectionfeature is only supported on Windows 10 devices.
- To select a device group other thanDefault, pressChange, select the group, and then pressOK.All devices that enroll with the installation package that you create are added to the device group that you select.
- Select theInstallation Type.
For more information, see:
- Online installation packageWhen you run this file, the installation components download and install directly on the device.
- Full installation package creatorWhen you run this file, the installation components download to create the installation package. You then run the resulting package on the device to install it.
- PressDownload Package.The file saves to the default download location for the web browser.
If you create and download a
Full installation package creator, you run it to build the installation package.
To create a Symantec Agent installation package for Windows using the full installation package creator
- Go to the default download location for the web browser and run the installation package creator file.The file name depends on whether the device is a 64-bit system or a 32-bit system:
The Download Manager launches and displays a pre-populated location where the package is saved.
- Symantec_Agent_Package_x64.exefor 64-bit systems
- Symantec_Agent_Package_x86.exefor 32-bit systems
- (Optional) PressChange Locationto save the package to a different location.If a package file already exists in the location specified, it is overwritten.
- PressCreate Packagewhen you are satisfied with the location.The package downloads to the location that you indicated, and includes the following folder and files:
- The folderSymantec_Agent_Package, which contains .dll and .dat files
- The fileSymantec_Agent_Install.exe, which launches the installation
- The fileSymantec_Agent_Deployment.msi
- The fileSymantec_Agent_Deployment.mst, which is used with Active Directory GPO deployments
- Click the link to access your downloaded files. Otherwise, clickFinish.
To create a Symantec Agent installation package for Mac using the full installation package creator
- Go to the default download location for the web browser and locate the fileSEP_package_downloader.zip.
- Copy this file to the desktop of the Mac device.
- Double-clickSEP_package_downloader.zipto extract the contents, and then open the resulting folder.
- Double-click the downloader tool to run the Symantec Downloader and to begin the installation package download.
- ClickSave Asto select or create a folder to which you save the package.The package includesfsdmanifest.jsandSymantec Endpoint Protection.UniversalESD_RI.pkg. These files must remain together for any installation.
You can install the package on a new device or you can move an existing on-premises-managed Symantec Endpoint Protection agent to be cloud-managed.
Installing the Symantec Agent on your devices
Before you start the installation of Symantec Agent, confirm that your systems meet the requirements. See:
You can use the installation package in the following ways:
- Install it directly on a device. See:
- Use a third-party deployment system to deploy it. See:
MSI-specific installation information writes to the log file path that you specify. However,
Symantec Endpoint Protection-specific installation information writes to the following log file: