Quick start for upgrading an on-premises Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager to Symantec Endpoint Security
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerto
Symantec Endpoint Security
- Ensure thatSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerversion 14.x or later is installed.
- Ensure thatSymantec Endpoint Protectionclient version 14.x or later is installed.
- Ensure that all potential clients have access to Symantec cloud resources, whether directly, by proxy for the devices, or by proxy for the clients.
- Document which user-defined settings the on-premisesSymantec Endpoint Protectionclients use (such as in the Firewall and Exceptions policies) so that you can configure them in the cloud-managed client later. You cannot export these user-defined settings from theSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerfor import to theEndpoint Securitycloud console.
Step 1: Before you upgrade
- Identify the features you want to use and ensure that they are available inSymantec Endpoint Security. See:
- Identify anySymantec Endpoint Protection Managerpolicies that you want to bring with you toEndpoint Security. See:
Step 2: Migrate your
Symantec Endpoint Protection Managerpolicies (optional)
- Export theSymantec Endpoint Protection Managerpolicies that you want to move toEndpoint Security. See:
- Apply the imported policy to the appropriate device groups. See:
Step 3: Upgrade the Windows clients
Whether or not you have the latest version of the client on the device, from
Endpoint Security, you must create and deploy the Symantec Agent installation package on your devices. The installation package redirects the clients to connect to the cloud service. See:
- If your devices have the latest version of the client, running the installation package reconfigures the clients to be cloud-managed agents.You can also use the smc command-line switch to convert an existing 14.2.x on-premises client to cloud-managed. This process requires an installation package from the cloud, but completes without a need to restart the device. See:
- If the devices do not have the latest version of the client, the installation package updates the clients with the latest features and establishes the network connectivity to the cloud.
Install a cloud-managed agent on a test machine before starting a large deployment. See: