Deploying Redundant System Without Starting Any Services
Virtual Appliance can perform a deployment without starting services. The deployment is controlled by a flag file on the file system (/opt/CA/VirtualAppliance/custom/dr_enabled) which must have a single line with value "TRUE".
Virtual Appliance can be deployed without starting any services.
To deploy the Virtual Appliance without starting any services, you must create
/opt/CA/VirtualAppliance/customlocation and add a single line
TRUEto the file.
This functionality is relevant for Disaster Recovery sites, which serve as a "hot-standby" for a primary site, with the following assumptions:
- All the Virtual Appliance servers are part of the same cluster.
- Thedr_enabledfiles must be created only on the new servers that will be used for disaster recovery, and not on the existing primary server.
- The following components in the Disaster Recovery site are continuously replicated from the primary site:
- User Store
- Provisioning Directory
- Database (external implementation by the customer or Services)
- Whendr_enabledis set toTRUE, none of the following database-dependent services will run on the Database Recovery servers, therefore the Database Recovery servers are essentially in a standby mode.
- CA Identity Manager
- CA Identity Governance
- CA Identity Portal
- While in standby mode, the Disaster Recovery servers will not be able to write to the database.
- The database-dependent services on the Disaster Recovery site startonlywhen the Disaster Recovery site goes LIVE.