Generate API Credentials
There are several uses cases that require the
Web Security Serviceto interact with external systems. For security,
WSSprovides an API credential generator. Currently, there are three API use cases provided in the portal.
- An admin wants to download the access logs or synchronize downloading to SymantecReporteror a third-party reporting tool.
- You are using theWSSAPI to change Location IP addresses; for example, you have multiple VPN devices that require changing .
- You want to download the Audit logs so you can retain the data beyond the one-year hard limit.
Usernames and passwords are auto-generated and only viewable when first created. You cannot return and edit.
If you created API keys with custom usernames before they
WSSJUL.26.2019 service update, you can still use those keys without expiration; however, you cannot edit their passwords. If a change required, you must create new ones.
- Navigate toAccount Configuration > API Credentials.
- ClickAdd API Credentials. TheWSSdisplays the New API Credential dialog, which contains the random charactersUsernameandPassword.
- Select the APIExpiry.
- Time-based—You define the date and time when this token expires.
- Select the external system access purpose for this API.
- (Optional) Enter a comment that defines the token's purpose. A helpful description informs other Admins of the purpose.
- Copy theUsernameandPasswordto a file for use in the external system.